If you are new to emulators or are running into problems, this guide will help you get the emulator running.
- 4DO runs on 32bit and 64bit Windows Operating Systems including XP, Vista, and Win7
- 4DO uses DirectX 9 for video rendering. If DirectX 9 is not possible, it will switch to GDI rendering for compatibility.
- 4DO, like most programs, will run better when there is enough free RAM. Having the recommended RAM for your Operating System is generally enough to run 4DO.
- Most Dual Core Processors or better are enough to run most games on 4DO. Some games will have higher requirements.
As of version 220.127.116.11, 4DO can now be downloaded as an Installer that will make sure you have all prerequisites needed for 4DO to run properly. This is the easiest way to install 4DO and it's prerequisites. The Installer will only install the prerequisites if you do not already have them. The latest 4DO Installer can be found at http://www.fourdo.com/downloads/. Just download the installer and run the file. It will install everything necessary. When the Installer is complete, 4DO can be run from the Start Menu. If you chose not to install the Start Menu folder for 4DO, you can run 4DO by clicking 4DO.exe in the folder you chose to install 4DO to.
For those who do not like installers, 4DO will still have a zip file version for download. If you want to install 4DO manually using the zip file version instead, skip to the Alternative Manual Install Section. Otherwise, see the User Guide for using 4DO.
Alternative Manual Install
4DO can also be installed manually using the zip file version. First you will need the prerequisites below.
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Runtimes
The Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Runtimes can be downloaded at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555. Just install this package like you would any other installer.
Microsoft .NET 4 Framework Client Profile
The Microsoft .NET 4 Framework Client Profile can be downloaded at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17113. Install this package and then run Windows Update to get any updates and fix any vulnerabilities.
DirectX 9.0c Updates
To update your install of DirectX, go to http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35 This web installer will download any necessary updates if you do not already have them.
Installing the zip file version of 4DO
- Download the latest zip file version of 4DO from http://www.fourdo.com/downloads/.
- Most modern Operating Systems have support for uncompressing zip files. If you need an application to unzip the file, 7-zip is a good choice. Unzip the download into a folder on your hard drive. 4DO is a good name for the folder.
- Once you have the files in a folder, double click 4DO.exe to start 4DO.
For using 4DO, see the User Guide